The UK Payroll Special Interest Group (SIG) is one of the best supported and best attended of all of the SAP UK & Ireland User Group SIG’s. The high level of interest reflects both the degree of custom complexity in processing payrolls and the constant changes in UK payroll legislation. These are usually held 3 times per year plus the main meeting at the UKISUG annual Connect conference.
SAP are usually in attendance which gives us a regular direct link to the SAP UK technical team who in turn have a direct link to the developers and to HMRC.
Regular agenda items include the following:
- Legislation update -This will be delivered by SAP. They will give us heads up on forthcoming legislation as well as the solutions they will be delivering to administer the changes. This will be supported by SIG members providing feedback on pilot testing or even their own proposed solutions.
- Presentations by third party vendors and SAP partners on complementary solutions to support the core SAP product. Again this is supported with SIG customers own experiences of the solution.
- Sharing best practice. We encourage SIG members to do short presentations on anything that may be of interest to those in attendance.
Recently these have included how to get more from payroll simulation logs, GDPR and how it impacts HR and payroll, how to develop custom payroll functions for payroll schemas.
- SAP Q&A - An opportunity for you to pre submit questions to the SAP payroll team. I
- Open forum - You can also submit questions in advance or on the day to be discussed by all. This is a great way to take away ideas and solutions that will improve procedures within your organisation.
- Plenty of time for networking and collaboration. Mix with your peers and share your experiences.
The SIG is attended by a broad range of payroll professionals ranging from payroll practitioners through to IT. We have representatives from public and private sector, multiple-employment and service providers. Our co-chairs also reflect this broad range.
It should appeal to anyone involved in SAP UK payroll administration, development or support. We cater for all. We strive to deliver open and honest responses and for you to return to work feeling your day out was worthwhile. The whole SIG is underpinned by a well supported SIG Jam forum.
The main SAP component modules that the Payroll SIG covers are:
- PA - Personnel Management
- PY - Payroll
Because of the integrated nature of SAP, however, topics and solutions also cross over / touch on:
- CA - Cross-Application Components (for CA-TS Time Sheets)
- CO - Controlling (for Payroll Postings)
- FI - Financial Accounting (for Payroll Postings and FI-TV Travel Expenses)
- PT - Personnel Time Management (for Work Schedules, Absences and Attendances)
- XX - Miscellaneous (for SAP PI (formerly XI) Content)